While I greatly enjoyed my pumpkin scones that I made last week, I realized that I needed something a little more figure friendly to nosh on during the week. I mean – don’t get me wrong, those are pretty darn healthy for a scone if you ask me – I just needed something that wouldn’t disrupt this lovely tummy I have (ahem….gluten).
Of course it has to be something that was going to go with the theme of the season…..Pumpkin. Spice. Everything. So I did some
digging reading, and I came across a lovely recipe for paleo muffins that would easily be adapted into pumpkin spice muffins! They are gluten free, they contain little sweetener, they contain pumpkin, they contain pumpkin spice, and they contain a secret veggie. It is a win for everyone!
Pumpkin Spice Morning Glory Muffins
- ½ cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup shredded carrot – or just one carrot shredded (who has time to measure)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup raisins or cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnut (or nut of choice)
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a large measuring cup. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with spray, or use liners. Divide the batter between about 8 muffin cups (maybe 6 depending on size of your muffin tin. Pour a small amount of water into the remaining muffin tin cups that are empty. This help with even baking, and makes a nice soft (moist) muffin.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes. They may need to go a little longer depending on your oven.
- Let them cool for several minutes before removing. Place on a tray and allow to cool completely. These are super yummy cold, room temperature, or warmed!
I have decided to use these as my afternoon snack for the week. After all, they help to tame that sweet tooth that rears its ugly head every so often. Of course one of my favorite ways to enjoy them are for breakfast, after they have been heated for a few seconds in the microwave or in a toaster oven. They make a great breakfast with a boiled egg and hot cup of coffee as well.
**save 10% on the everything spray by Primally Pure when you use the code HN10**
** save 15% on items at Elevated Faith Apparel when you use code HGarner15**