Are you “stuck” in a mundane daily life? I will be honest with you guys……I have been! I am working very hard to turn that around.
Just think about your daily life. Your daily life is the ways in which you act, think, and feel on a daily basis. Now think about the meaning of mundane – lacking interest or excitement; dull. My daily life has been pretty dull. Sure there have been days when I have had excitement. Great things have happened, but let’s be honest those days are few and far between. Day to day my life consists of the same routines. The same outcomes. Just the same…..but I am tired of feeling that my day is mundane. I want to enjoy my life!
As you know I have been on a journey (yes a journey because this takes time and effort) to better myself not only physically; but emotionally and spiritually as well. All is in an effort to simplify my life and enjoy everyday living. So today I would like to share with you some of the things I have been doing daily to make my everyday not so mundane. To be able to say that I enjoy everyday living!
I started by making a list of the things that I enjoy the most. In order to enjoy your daily life it needs to be filled with the things that you love to do/have. Here is my list:
- Morning self-care routine
- Waking an hour earlier to complete my morning routine
- Enjoying a favorite coffee
- Daily devotional
- Daily bible reading/prayer
- Stocking some of my favorite teas to drink throughout the day
- Following a well-rounded, healthy, clean eating plan
- Surrounding my space with things that make me happy – pictures, scriptures, quotes, etc.
- Exercising/gym time
- Evening self-care routine
- Limiting social media
- Evening reading
- Evening cup of Natural Calm before bed
Are all of these things basic, everyday habits? Yes of course they are! I have found that if I make sure to get all of the things that I enjoy into my day, it is no longer mundane. While it is a routine (I am a creature of habit) they are all things that make me happy.
Before this I would just wake up, wash my face, make some coffee, go to get dressed, and head to work. Then I would go through my day eating whatever I had time for, go home to start dinner, and immediately jump in to cleaning house/laundry. Finally cleaning up after the day to jump into bed and do it all again.
I will be honest and say that this has taken time to put into action. I started by sitting down and making a list of things that I would enjoy daily, or things that I would like to start incorporating into my day. I also read several books on various topics to gain insight/ideas. After making my list, I simply put things into action. Here are some things that I did in order to ensure that I would follow my list:
- I invested in some great natural beauty products
- I buy my favorite coffee blends or flavored creamers just for me.
- I buy my favorite teas (like matcha) so I can enjoy them daily.
- I pre-plan my weekly meals to ensure healthy eating.
- I purchased a new bible so that I could highlight/write in it instead of using an app
- I try to get into the gym daily, even if it is only for 20-30 minutes
- I have vision boards now in both my closet, on my fridge, and one hanging above my desk at work
- I allow myself to check social media 4 times daily – morning, lunch, while having my afternoon snack, and once again while enjoying my evening bath.
- Disclaimer: Sometimes I do check this more frequently if my day is not as busy, but I try to stick with this routine so I am not sucked into a world of negativity – because let’s be honest, social media is so full of negativity.
- I have unfollowed many people/sights that are not fulfilling to my life on social media
- I have made a habit of reading before bed – mainly concentrating on self-help books lately
- Taking time to journal and reflect on my day – along with this I also have an ongoing list in my iPhone of something good that happened that day. Every night before bed I add something good from the day to the list. At the end of the year I will be able to reflect on all of the blessings I had!
Most of these things are just second nature to me now. If you are just starting this, and you decide to use my method of listing (I am obsessed with lists), you may find yourself having to actually check things off until they are habit. I did have to make it into a to-do list when I started. After some time, this list will become the norm. You will complete the list without even thinking about it, but it will make your day more enjoyable since you are doing/incorporating things that you enjoy!
Sounds simple right? It does sound simple, but be prepared to have to consciously focus on this for a little while. It is so easy to slip back into the same old routine of aimlessly going through your day. You know the saying…..sometimes the simplest things are the hardest!
So leave me a comment below on things that you currently like or would like to incorporate into your daily life to make if more enjoyable. I am always looking for inspiration from others, and I love to communicate with my readers!