I like clouds. Especially the big white fluffy ones. I am not as fond of the big dark clouds. Unless I have the opportunity to stay in my house, on the couch, with a book, and a big mug of something. Then I like those clouds as well!
BUT….that is not the clouds I am going to tell you about today. Oh no, I am going to tell you about clouds you can eat. That’s right I said eat!
Mashed Potato Clouds w/ gravy
- evaporated milk
- plain greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- boil potatoes. you do not need instructions here, you know how it goes.
- put those potatoes in your mixing bowl.
- add additional ingredients, mix until nice and fluffy
I am not going to bore you with the details of how to make mashed potatoes. We all know that. As for the ingredients be generous with the milk and butter. Only add a couple tablespoons of the yogurt. We do not want them to taste to bitter. I didn’t give measurements either. Because let’s face it, we all cook different amounts of mashed potatoes, and it is not about the potatoes. Not completely. It is all about the gravy!
BEST darn gravy ever!
- 1/4c white whole wheat flour
- 3-4T milk
- 2c water + 1T liquid smoke
- Use an iron skillet if one is available. If not you can use any that you have. Put the flour in over medium heat. Patiently wait for it to begin browning, remember to stir constantly. Yes people we are making gravy without a fat. It is possible. It is healthier. It is “cleaner”.
- Now that your flour is a nice brown color, slowly pour in the milk. I mean slowly. We want to make a soft “roux” type mixture before adding the water.
- Now slowly pour in the water and liquid smoke mixture. Whisk constantly while pouring. Let the gravy simmer to thicken. If it is not thick enough you can add a little corn starch + water to the mix. Simply combine 2T of corn starch w/ 2T of water until dissolved. Slowly pour into gravy while whisking. Continue this process until you get the desired thickness.
- Add some salt, pepper, onion powder, and/or garlic powder to taste.
- Liberally pour this wonderful gravy on top of those fluffy cloud like potatoes.
Now that my friends is a perfect meal. Who doesn’t love potato clouds? Or gravy?