We all have a love for dessert in my house. Oh and treats as well. Because you know cookies can be both. But this is not about cookies. Or my brownies. Or my cupcakes.
No this is about the hubster. This is about his favorite dessert. Or treat. Or breakfast. Whatever you want to call it. It is all about him. So please let him enjoy this moment. Because everything is usually always about me. Or the boys. But mainly me….as far as he is concerned 🙂
The hubster loves pound cakes. Specifically lemon flavored ones. But who has the resources for a pound cake. I mean come on – a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar – a pound of a hear attack, diabetes, cholesterol, and all sort of other health nighmares waiting to happen.
Now don’t get me wrong I love pound cake as well. That is if I can get away with only having a slice. Not a whole cake. A whole cake staring at me on the counter. One that I will eat – by the pound!
So here is a revamped version for me the hubster 🙂
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the room temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, and lemon peel. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Batter will look curdled. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Pour the batter into a prepared 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a plate.
- To make glaze: Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar. Pour glaze over entire cake and allow cake to cool while the glaze is soaked in.
Now that my friends is a wonderful “pound” cake. Oh and I decided on a loaf cake so we do not have a huge cake staring at me daily. Because you know desserts have a way of doing that. Staring at you that is!
The brown sugar takes this one over the top. So much better than regular sugar. But you can use turbinado or white if you choose. Oh and it is the perfect breakfast bread. Kinda tastes like a pancake!
And the best part – it is better for you than traditional pound cake. That and it is smaller. Which means that you will not carry around multiple extra pounds on your thighs for eating a whole cake!