Or at least happiness for a special little boy!
Because they love it when mama surprises them with wonderful treats 🙂
But this one is not just a “mama decided to surprise you with your favorite treat” treat. Oh no. This treat was demanded. Sort of. Scenario:
Kohl enters the kitchen a few days ago while I am cooking dinner, he says he needs to talk.
Kohl: Mommy (yes he still calls me mommy, I refuse to correct him much to the hubsters dismay) why didn’t you make me apple muffins
Mommy: Because you didn’t ask mommy to make you apple muffins, would you like some apple muffins?
Kohl: Yes! Well actually (he uses this word a lot as well) I want apple cupcakes, we never had apple cupcakes. Can you make apple cupcakes?
Mommy: Well mommy will have to try and find a good recipe for an apple cupcake, I have never made those. Let me look on the computer and we will make some another day, ok?
Kohl: Okay….actually (see told you) I just want an apple sliced right now!
The quest for apple cupcake recipes begins……lots of junky filled recipes out there let me tell you. Oh and not one I came across used fresh apples in the recipe. What’s a mommy to do? Come up with her own recipe based off of some other recipes of course!
So while I was at home yesterday afternoon waiting patiently for school to end so I could pick the boys up, I decided to bake them a little treat 🙂
Kohl’s Apple Cupcakes
- two apples, diced
- 1T maple syrup
- 1T cinnamon
- 1/3c butter, softened*
- 1/4c applesauce
- 1/4c milk
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2/3c organic sugar
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- 1+1/4c whole wheat pastry
- 1t baking powder
- 1/2t baking soda
- 1/2t salt
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4t ginger
- 1/4t nutmeg
- 3T butter,
- 4 ounces yogurt cheese (can use cream cheese)**
- 2c powdered sugar
- splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the apples in a pot of water just covering on the stove and cook until soft.
- Drain the apples and let cool. Mash them with a potato masher, add in maple syrup and 1T cinnamon, stir well.
- In you mixing bowl combine the apple mixture, butter, applesauce, milk, brown sugar, organic sugar, vanilla extract, and mix until creamy.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Whish to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Place the batter into a cupcake pan lined with paper linings, fill 2/3’s of the way.
- Bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes. It takes longer to bake these cupcakes but it is so worth it. Bake until the center is done when a toothpick is inserted.
- Combine frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Top cupcakes with frosting. Add decorations if you desire. Eat with a smile 🙂
* you can substitute with Earth Balance if you do not want to use butter. I choose to use real butter when baking desserts…..just makes them better in my opinion.
** yogurt cheese is really simple to make and just as good as cream cheese but better for you. If you do not like yogurt or do not buy plain yogurt then feel free to use cream cheese in it’s place. Go here to learn how to make yogurt cheese.
Mission accomplished. I have fallen in love with these cupcakes. They are the perfect fall cupcake. The recipe makes 12 cupcakes so if you need more than twelve you will have to make a double batch. Also, the frosting was not enough to use my tips to frost them so they look pretty. You will need more frosting for that. But the cupcakes really only need a nice spread across the top anyway. If decorating just be sure to adjust the amount of frosting you need.
For a super yummy fall treat you should top these cupcakes with caramel…..that is on the list next 🙂
I now have a happy little boy with apple cupcakes. Oh and a happy mommy because these are so soft & moist that I do not have to chew to enjoy. I enjoyed one before bed, and I have one packed with me today to enjoy with lunch 🙂
Now go get some apples and start baking. No excuses!!