As much as I love rambling on to you guys about the comings and goings of life, I have a date with two little boys today. One of which, bless his heart, has strep! After having a temp of 104 Wednesday night – we made a trip to the pediatrition yesterday 😦
But I did promise you guys an Independence Day picnic worthy dessert……..
And at Helen, Naturally – a promise is a promise!
This recipe is perfect for a picnic, just add homemade ice cream 🙂
Red, White, & Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1/2c oats
- 2T brown sugar
- 1/2t cinnamon
- 2T butter
- 2c unbleached all purpose bread flour
- 1/4c honey
- 2t baking powder
- 1/4t salt
- 3/4c almond milk
- 1 egg or 1/4c egg whites
- 1/4c applesauce
- 1t vanilla extract
- 1c each blueberries and dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375. Coat an 8x8x2 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place dried cranberries into hot water to soak.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl combine milk, egg, applesauce, vanilla, and honey. Add liquid ingredients to the flour mixture. Mix the batter with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Drain cranberries, and gently fold the blueberries and cranberries into the batter. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Place all topping ingredients into food processor and pulse until you get a fine crumb texture. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven approximately 50 minutes or until center is done.
Serve in a bowl with a scoop of homemade ice cream.
Happy 4th of July!!