I like to think of myself as a very good chef. I have went as far as to
convince tell others that I most certainly was a highly trained, respected, well known chef in a former life.
At least I could make a little money on comedy night…lol! Okay enough of the laughing. I am no chef, but my boys, my parents, close friends, the hubster, and myself all are of the opinion that I am a great cook 🙂
While there are certain foods that we all love, can and do eat daily, and we would tear you apart if you tried to take that food item away from us, well sometimes you just want to do something a little different.
Sweet Potato Cakes
- 3 small sweet potatoes or one large
- 2 small russet potatoes or one large
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 c chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 c chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- egg + 1T milk
- 1/4 c each bread crumbs, flaxseed, and grape nuts cereal
- olive oil
- Cook the sweet potatoes until tender so they can be mashed, carefully grate the russet potatoes and add.
- Sauté the onion, bell peppers, and garlic in sauce pan with a little olive oil until tender. Add to the potato mixture.
- Combine the egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, flax, and cereal in a second bowl.
- Put 2-3T olive oil in the same sauté pan and heat over medium heat.
- Very carefully form patties with the potatoes. Dredge each patty in the egg mixture then in the crumb mixture until evenly coated. You will need to be careful and take your time in order to keep the patty together.
- Cook the patties in the olive oil over medium heat until brown on both sides.
This was a good change from the usual baked/roasted sweet potato. I love sweet potatoes and eat them frequently. I know that the hubster can get tired of my food fetishes so I always try to throw something new into the mix occasionally.
Could I have made traditional latkes? Well of course, but that would have been to easy!
We enjoyed these little babies along side some greens with egg and some of the hubsters fried venison. Of course I didn’t fry my pieces….you know those southerners, they love all things deep fried 🙂
P.S. Want to know what was in the box earlier?
Ron from NuNaturals was so kind to send me a lovely package of their Stevia products to try. I can’t wait – future baking recipes will be coming soon! 🙂